Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Karla - The perfect mystery..










I must have been one of the very few people who have loved bombay and still haven't read Gregory David Roberts's Shantaram... Until now, when my dear friend Ms Daredevil handed me a copy that travelled the hands of three other readers to find its place in my hands.. I'm only 100 pages down (of a 1000 page book) and I already know why everyone wanted me to read it... I love 'Karla'... just as much as the protagonist loves her. I admire her strength, her mystery, her power and most of all her feminity. Most powerful women turn so strong that they lose their feminine side.... but not Karla.

'She loved the guy. She did it for him. She would’ve done anything for him. Some people are like that. Some loves are like that. Most loves are like that, from what I can see. Your heart starts to feel like an overcrowded lifeboat. You throw your pride out to keep it afloat, and your self-respect and your independence. After a while you start throwing people out—your friends, everyone you used to know. And it’s still not enough. The lifeboat is still sinking, and you know it’s going to take you down with it. I’ve seen that happen to a lot of people here. I think that’s why I’m sick of love.' - Karla, (Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts)



Words by spardha, Illustration By Garance Dore

2 comments:

the latin sardar said...

I love that book, I read mine 2 yrs ago and it's still one of my favorites.

Deepika said...

i loved that book! I have the ebook stored on my phone and I still read it at times!! and believe me - I went to Cafe Leopold only coz' of Shantaram! I am just liking ur blog more n more! :)